Water & Sewage Section
Food and Lodging: 910-433-3618 (3622)
Onsite Wells and Wastewater: 910-433-3668 (3667)
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Site/soil evaluations for the purpose of installing new on-site septic tank systems and for the repair of existing septic tank systems (includes layout of system).
- Site evaluations for the issuance of new drinking water well permits. Watch well grouts and collect water samples from new wells.
- Maintains registration list of all septic tank contractors doing work in Cumberland County.
- Does inspections of new septic tank systems. Inspections of existing systems for repairs.
- Draws septic tank system layout on plot plans as requested.
- Consults with engineers, soil scientists, builders, etc. concerning layout and design of septic tank systems.
- Does routine inspections of certain types of septic tank systems.
- Does inspections of some private water wells (as requested).
- Collects water samples from private water wells as requested.
- Issues occupancy permits for those manufactured homes that are placed on individual lots before electrical services are energized.
- Investigates all complaints associated with this section.
The Private Well Class - Free Online Training for Homeowners with Water Wells
Helpful Well - NCDHHS Environmental Health Section
Top of Page