Cumberland County Animal Services is dedicated to ensuring the best possible outcome for pets in our county. Bringing an unwanted pet to the shelter should be the last option, as our shelter is frequently full, and your pet may have to be euthanized. For this reason, we require residents to attempt to rehome pets themselves by doing the following before we will accept the pet:
If you need to find a new home for your pet, you must do the following first:
- Place your pet on the following websites:
- Contact friends, family, and co-workers to spread the word that your pet needs a new home.
- If you are military and are PCS-ing, you may still be able to keep your pet. More information here: https://www.petsforpatriots.org/pcs-and-your-pet/
- If you obtained your pet from a rescue or a breeder please contact them directly to see if they will take the pet back.
- If your pet is a purebred dog or cat, search for a rescue for that breed and contact them about taking your pet.
- If your pet is a threat to the safety of people or other animals and cannot be safely kept in your home, please call the shelter at 910-321-6852 or 911 after hours. If your pet has a history of aggression, it will likely be euthanized for liability reasons.
If you have exhausted ALL OTHER OPTIONS, please submit the form below: