The Joint Planning Board has the responsibility for the development of a continuing comprehensive planning program for the entire county and each participating municipality in the county by working from the existing plans of each city and town in the county to improve and develop the same and incorporate such planning into a comprehensive plan extending throughout the county. In developing the continuing comprehensive planning program, the Joint Planning Board will study priorities and requests for special study effort provided by the participating governmental units. The Joint Planning Board also has the function of developing and maintaining subdivision control and zoning programs.
Web Page Links, Downloads, and Resources:
Statutory Authorization: NCGS 153A-391
- Appointed by the Board of Commissioners (4)
- Appointed by the towns of Spring Lake, Eastover, Linden, Stedman and Hope Mills (1 each)
- Appointed to represent the towns of Wade, Falcon and Godwin (1)
Term: 4 Years
(County appointee is four years. Members appointed )
- Final approval of plat waiver requests in the County;
- Reviews, holds hearings and approves or makes recommendations on area studies, future land use plans, transportation improvement projects, zoning matters, and most land use issues throughout the County.
Meetings: First and third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 PM. Meeting times vary in length. Members also serve on subcommittees (Administrative, Comprehensive Planning, Codes and Nominating). These subcommittees meet on an as-needed basis. In addition, time is spent outside of the meetings to review various documents and plans on which the Board is required to vote.
Meeting Location: Historic Cumberland County Courthouse
Hearing Room #3
130 Gillespie Street
Lori S. Epler, Cumberland County
Diane Wheatley, Cumberland County
Carl Manning, Cumberland County
Dr. Vikki Andrews, Cumberland County
Cumberland County Planning and Inspections Department
Phone: (910) 678-7610